225 CAMINO DE LA PLACITA
TAOS, NEW MEXICO 87571
DONATE TO TWIRL
Please consider making a tax-deductible donation to foster play, creativity and imagination throughout our community.
Twirl seeks to support the growth and potential of children in Taos through inspirational community-wide opportunities to gather, play, create and learn.
Collaboration, creativity, community and integrity are the values that guide and inspire us in delivering our mission. We are committed to serving all the children of Taos and to building a stronger community through shared recognition, celebration and cultivation of its greatest asset, its children.
In our second year as a 501 (c)(3) non-profit, Twirl served over 20,000 children, parents and teachers who participated in our programs, attended community events, enjoyed our free play facilities, and visited our toy store.
Nearly all of our programming is funded by grants and individual donations and there is no charge to participate. Our nationally acclaimed play facility is also free to the public for drop-in use, from 10 - 6 every day, 362 days a year. Keeping our programs and facilities free ensures all families in our community can access them.
Following are the community-wide play and learning programs that Twirl provided this year:
- Expanded in-school programming. This year, we worked with 20 teachers at 8 area elementary schools providing programs for almost 1,000 students to explore science concepts through art that culminated in collaborative art installations for 2 community events – Invent Event and The Paseo.
- On-site field trip programs – this year, around 20 classes and 450 school children will visit Twirl to play and to take part in a guided activity.
- Weekly music and ballet classes for babies, toddlers and preschoolers serving 25 families a week.
- Enhanced on-site play facilities including a baby/toddler sensory area created by local artists, and a teleidoscope, wind tunnel and marble run. We estimate around 250 visitors per day use our free drop-in playspace during peak months.
- New drop-in summer programming including Make It Mondays, Wonder Wednesdays and Silly Saturdays serving 256 children.
- Facilitated 4 after-school STEAM workshops for 40 children ages 8-12 to create and explore using Robotics, 3D printing, electronics and textiles
- Delivered 7 STEAM summer camps in conjunction with Explora for 87 children aged 6-12 who became inventors, engineers and scientists for a week.
- Facilitation of Explora’s science outreach programs serving 289 people.
- Hosted our 2nd Annual Invent Event which brought together 30 community partners and provided 900 children and adults with hands-on opportunities to explore a variety of technologies, and to make, craft and build together.
- Participated in The Paseo, a community art festival, during which over 1,000 visitors explored the science and creativity of pendulums.
- Hosted or participated in eight other community events and monthly seasonal craft activities serving approximately 1,500 children and adults.
- Partnered with STEMarts Lab to deliver programming for TISA’s new STEAM Lab.
- Conducted a STEAM professional development workshop for 15 local teachers.
Watch our video here.
A tax-deductible donation will help Twirl remain a vibrant part of the Taos landscape, providing inspirational play and learning opportunities not typically found in rural communities for many years to come.
Thank you. Twirl and children in Taos greatly appreciate your support.
If you would like to stay informed about our programs, you can join our mailing list here.